Two Moon Reports

Oct 4-6, 2017, Kingdom Trails, VT, TwinkleToez Wheatley, Lightning Curry and Lupine Cox began their hunt for the C2M buckle; TT's report on same here...


Coyote 2 Moon: this time it is personal

 Coyote is the trickster; he stole fire from the gods and gifted it to the children of earth so that they would be able to see in the night. The only trick our head coyote did was to get us to run for 2 moons and convince us that it would be enjoyable. Well, the trick is on him, it was totally worth the effort!

 Some would say it was an EPIC run, some would just send out a string of tweets #blessedlife#soretoes#gourmetultra#traillife#ultra#soreknees#C2M#sotired#whyyesiwouldloveagrilledcheesesandwich, I would not say any of that (I am not on the twitter). I would say that we had a good time supported by awesome people. I could get into a blow by blow description of the run, but that would be boring. Instead I will hit the highlights and some of the low lights (for me at least) and let your imagination fill in the rest, maybe next year you will be here with us to experience the C2M for yourselves.

 First the basics; the prerace information meeting was held over pizza and was very laidback. We had time to nap before the run. We had to wait for Dave and Lauren (his incredible wife who also happens to be THE crew chief extraordinaire) to arrive. Dave is so hard core that he worked all day teaching kids before driving across Vermont (which we all know is not straightforward by any means) and arriving to be told “you have 10 minutes before the start”. So at 4:20 PM on Wednesday October 4th we were off… 32h34m and ~13,678 feet of climbing later we were done…in between all that here is what I remember.

C2M PatrickRedTrailCurry.jpg

 These are just some of the high points: Seeing a flying squirrel as it zoomed by my head to land on a tree and then bounce off into the dark to do whatever it is flying squirrels do when you can’t see them. Flowing single track that just rolled on into the distance inviting you to just keep running. Telling stories and laughing our way around the course. Being met by Chris and Lauren at the best aid stations I have ever run into, we ate (among other things); grilled cheese sandwiches, grilled cheese and turkey quesadillas, cooked beef, chips, doritos, ginger ale (Schweppes not Canada Dry!) scrambled eggs with cheese wrapped in homemade tortillas, ramen, instant mashed potatoes, some of the tastiest burgers I have ever had, and as we reached the 100km mark, coke and chocolate covered espresso beans. Speaking of food, during this race we ate so much real, solid food that I rarely ate the running food that I was carrying. Glowing eyes of a family of racoons, spooky on the trail in the middle of the night. Seeing the harvest moon rise not once, but twice! Watching the sun set from the summit of Burke Mountain. Listening to a barred owl hoot away for almost 10 minutes on the first night. Being the only people on the trails through the night. With 18km to go, being met by Dave Hetzelt, Sue Scott, and Alan McGrath who would spend the next 2 hours with us as we ran/walked the last section of the course. With 13km to go being met in the woods by Hugh ringing his bell and cheering us on before running back to the VT114 with us. Coming up the trail as a group towards heaven’s bench and seeing Chris and Lauren on the rise with sparklers and glow sticks to celebrate almost being done. Finally, sitting in the yurt with cold pizza and beer enjoying that awesome feeling on not moving. I should also mention the hot water cleanup of dirty legs before bed, the hot showers before breakfast and then the breakfast itself with plenty of food and laughs talking about what we just did.

 As for the low lights, I only have a couple. First off the biggest bummer was Laurel tripping (on “nothing”) and going down hard after a valiant attempt to stay on her feet. She broke her fall and managed to dislocate her shoulder, like the tough woman she is, Laurel finished the first loop and then after a couple of Advil’s managed the second loop as well! She is tough! The 3 hours before dawn on the Thursday were tough for me. I was tired and sleepy, kicking roots and rocks. I couldn’t understand how Laurel and Dave were running; it was all I could do to keep up with them. I felt like a zombie coming into the yurt at the end of the second loop. Obviously, I recovered but man that was rough. The first climb up Burke using the DH trail was tough, it seemed endless but we eventually completed the climb.


There you are. My short and sweat [sweet?] Coyote 2 Moon run report. Running with friends on wonderful dirt trails being taken care of by two of the nicest people out there